Battle of Amiens: Black Day of the German Army
The Battle of Amiens was fought August 8-11, 1918, near Picardy, France.
It was part of an Allied counteroffensive after several German offensives failed in the spring.
The battle also is known as the Third Battle of Picardy. It is the first battle in what would later become known as the Hundred Days Offensive.
The nations involved were Canada, Great Britain, Australia, France and Germany.
Major Battle Events
- Secrecy was needed to ensure the attack went as planned. To bluff the Germans, some soldiers and a casualty clearing station were sent to Ypres to serve as decoys while the rest of the Canadian Corps was moved.
- The attack involved the infantry, artillery, cavalry and air force. Nearly 600 tanks also were used.
- The British, French, Canadians and Australians attacked on August 8. The Germans were caught off guard, and Allied objectives were quickly met. The Canadians advanced the farthest — eight miles.
- After August 8, the Allies received more resistance, but still won the engagement easily.
- German morale was low. Nearly 20,000 German soldiers surrendered and were taken prisoner.
- The war was mobile for the first time since trench warfare began in 1914.
- The Canadians’ August 8 push was the most successful day for the Allies in the entire war.
- It also is the first battle where Canadians and Australians attacked together.
- Allied officials believed the war would continue into 1919 and 1920. However, the battle proved the end was in sight.
- Canadian casualties totaled 11,800.
Where to Purchase the WWI Trilogy
This post is a companion piece to Melina Druga’s WWI Trilogy: Angel of Mercy, Those Left Behind and Adjustment Year. The trilogy focuses on Hettie and her family as they navigate the challenges and heartbreak World War I brings.
Angel of Mercy: A nurse reluctantly sacrifices her career for marriage. An impending war will change her, and her husband’s, life forever. Available in eBook, paperback and hardcover. Click here for a full list of retailers.
Those Left Behind: The brewing winds of war will soon rip the family apart. Available in eBook, paperback and hardcover. Click here for a full list of retailers.
Adjustment Year: A war nurse returns home. Society expects her to carry on as if the Great War never happened. But how can she? Available in eBook, paperback and hardcover. Click here for a full list of retailers.